Updated: 6 days ago
Are you ready to embark on a wallpapering project that promises to transform your space? Before you dive into the exciting world of pattern and color, it's crucial to start with a solid foundation: accurate measurements. In this week's #TuesdayTip from The Wallpaper Company, we're going to guide you through the art of measuring a wall for flawless wallpaper application.
Step 1: Gather Your Tools
Before you begin, ensure you have the following tools handy:
- A measuring tape (preferably a retractable one for ease)
- A pencil or pen
- A notepad or a smartphone to record measurements
Step 2: Calculate Wall Area
1. **Measure Wall Height:** Starting from the floor, place the end of your measuring tape at the baseboard and extend it to the ceiling. This measurement determines the height of your wall. Write down this measurement.
2. **Measure Wall Width:** Begin by measuring the width of the wall from one corner to the other. If your wall has windows or doors, measure the width of these openings separately and subtract them from the total width. This gives you the net width of the wallpapered area.
Step 3: Account for Pattern Repeats
If your chosen wallpaper has a pattern, it's important to account for pattern repeats to ensure the design aligns seamlessly. Pattern repeats refer to the vertical distance between identical points in the pattern. Measure the pattern repeat and add it to the wall height. This ensures that the pattern aligns correctly across the entire wall.
Step 4: Calculate Total Wallpaper Needed
1. **Calculate Total Square Footage:** Multiply the adjusted wall height by the net wall width. This gives you the total square footage of wallpaper needed.
2. **Account for Matching:** If your wallpaper requires matching at the seams, add an additional allowance for this. This ensures that the patterns align neatly when each strip is applied.
Step 5: Purchase Wallpaper
With your accurate measurements in hand, you're now ready to purchase the perfect amount of wallpaper for your project. Most wallpaper rolls indicate their coverage area, which allows you to estimate how many rolls you need. It's always a good idea to purchase a little extra to account for mistakes, future repairs, or unexpected adjustments.
Remember, precision is key when measuring for wallpapering. Taking the time to measure accurately will result in a professional-looking finish that showcases your chosen design flawlessly. Happy wallpapering! 🌟
Share your progress with us using the hashtag #TuesdayTip and let us know how your wallpaper project is coming along. We can't wait to see your beautiful spaces transformed with the power of patterns and colors from The Wallpaper Company.