Wallpaper can instantly transform the look and feel of any room, adding personality and style to your home. However, before you embark on a wallpapering project, it's essential to measure your walls accurately to ensure you purchase the right amount of wallpaper and avoid costly mistakes. In this guide, we'll take you through the step-by-step process of measuring for wallpaper in your home, so you can achieve a flawless finish.
1. Gather Your Tools
- Tape measure
- Pen and paper
- Ladder or step stool (if needed)
2. Prepare Your Walls
- Remove old wallpaper and patch any holes or imperfections.
- Clean the walls to ensure a smooth surface for the new wallpaper.
3. Determine the Wallpaper Pattern
- Consider the wallpaper pattern repeat and how it will align on your walls.
4. Measure Wall Height
- Measure from the floor to the ceiling at multiple points along the wall.
- Record the highest measurement as your wall height.
5. Measure Wall Width
- Measure the width of each wall where you plan to hang wallpaper.
- Add these measurements together to get the total wall width.
6. Account for Doors and Windows
- Measure the height and width of doors and windows.
- Subtract these measurements from the total wall area to be covered.
7. Calculate the Total Wallpaper Area
- Multiply the wall height by the total wall width to get the total square footage.
8. Consider Wallpaper Rolls
- Check the label on the wallpaper rolls to see how many square feet they cover.
- Divide the total wallpaper area by the coverage of one roll to determine the number of rolls needed.
9. Account for Pattern Matching
- If your wallpaper has a pattern that needs to match, you may need extra rolls to ensure a seamless look.
- Consult the manufacturer's instructions for guidance.
10. Allow for Wastage
- It's wise to purchase extra wallpaper to account for errors, pattern matching, and future repairs.
- Most experts recommend buying an additional 10% to 15% of the total square footage.
Measuring for wallpaper is a crucial step in any wallpapering project. Accurate measurements ensure that you purchase the right amount of wallpaper, saving you time and money in the long run. By following the steps outlined in this guide, you'll be well-prepared to tackle your wallpapering project with confidence and achieve stunning results. Enjoy your newly transformed space!